So, you've decided you want to join us! This is a big step in your musical life. A Cappella Texas has high musical standards, but we don't want you to be intimidated by the process. We want you to succeed because we consider singing with A Cappella Texas, both at rehearsals and at performances, one of the great experiences of our lives.
Consider the audition process not so much as a test, but as free vocal lessons. We'll listen to you sing, and then give you feedback that we hope will make you a better singer. We really want everyone who has the ability to experience the joy of singing with A Cappella Texas.
In order to become a member of the A Cappella Texas chorus, you will have to pass a three-phase audition process. The auditions will be conducted on Tuesday evenings, either before or after rehearsal, at:
11400 Concordia University Dr
Building B, Room 227
Austin, TX 78726
Anyone wishing to sign up for an audition please contact our Vice-President of Music & Presentation, Randy Martin, at 512.968.7448 or via email. Audition dates and times will be assigned on a first-come-first-serve basis.
When you decide you want to join A Cappella Texas, you'll be given a Placement Audition, by our Director. This initial phase in the audition process will help us determine your overall vocal quality and help us place you in the proper section in the chorus.
Be prepared to perform the following:
- Tone matching — the auditioner will play a note on the piano, you sing it back.
- Interval singing — the auditioner will play an interval on the piano, you sing it back.
- The auditioner will determine your vocal range and help place you in the proper section in the chorus.
- After passing the Initial Placement audition, you will be assigned a Mentor and issued a Membership Packet, which includes chorus information, a Membership Application, and a New Member Checklist to help you proceed toward full membership.
When you feel you're ready (usually 2-3 weeks after your Initial Placement audition), your Mentor will help you schedule you Phase I Audition.
The Audition Team will consist of the Director, the Assistant Director, the Music & Presentation VP, and members of the Audition Quartet.
- Come warmed-up and ready to sing.
- Be prepared to sing your part to one of the two ATX audition songs included in the Membership Packet — off the music.
The audition team will evaluate your singing ability, specifically listening for:
- Warm, rich, resonant tone
- Rhythm awareness
- Ability to maintain the tonal center of the song
- Breath support and phrasing
- Overall presentation — facial involvement, body movement, etc.
- Whether you pass or are asked to come back and try again, you will be given feedback by the audition team on things you can do to improve your singing and performance.
After successfully completing your Phase I audition, your Mentor will help you schedule your Phase II Audition. We encourage you to perform you Phase II audition 1-2 weeks after your Phase I audition.
The Audition Team will again consist of the Director, the Assistant Director, the Music & Presentation VP, and members of the Audition Quartet. You will take the place of the person who sings your part and will be asked to do the following:
- Sing your part in the quartet to both of the ATX audition songs included in the membership packet.
In addition to all the evaluation items in the Phase I audition, the audition team will be listening for:
- Your ability to blend with an ensemble
- Your ability to tune with the rest of the quartet members
- Whether you add to or subtract from the overall sound of the quartet
- You will be given feedback on your performance, and we'll either inform you that you passed or asked to come back and try again.